Monday, July 28, 2014

Welcome to Fourth Grade!

Hi! My name is Miss Glay and I am SO excited for this new school year! This will be my sixth year of teaching, all of which have been in fourth grade at Oakland! This will be my first year teaching all boys though, and I could not be more excited! We are going to have so much fun! Here are a few things about me:

  • I have the cutest dog in the world and I love her a little too much! Her name is Toby and she is a five-year-old Basset Hound. You will hear my talk about her ALL year long!
  • I absolutely love to read. My favorite books that I've read this summer are The Fault in our Stars and Wonder. What good books have you read recently? Tell me by commenting below!
  • I love traveling too! Some of my recent vacations include: London, Paris, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. I am leaving for Seattle and Hawaii TOMORROW (July 29), which is why I will not be at registration to meet you! I can't wait to tell you all about my trip!


  • I live in Boiling Springs, but I was born in Florida and grew up in North Carolina
  • I went to USC Upstate for my undergraduate and graduate degrees.

Supply List for Miss Glay's Class:

Essential:
  • Pencils
  • 2 pocket folders
  • Notebook paper
  • 5 composition notebooks (NO spiral notebooks, please)
**Students will NOT need a 3-Ring binder or dividers this year. Instead of keeping a binder, we will be doing notebooking!

Helpful:
  • Scissors
  • Glue sticks (we will use these a lot with notebooking)
  • Coloring materials (markers, colored pencils, and/or crayons)
  • Expo markers
  • Highlighters
Appreciated:
  • Tissues
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Clorox wipes
  • Post-it notes
  • Small prizes/treats

What can I do to be ready for fourth grade?
  • Label your two pocket folders with the following labels:
    • Class Work
      (Your Name)
    • Homework/Take Home
      (Your Name)
  • Label your five composition notebooks with the following labels:
    • Writing Journal
      (Your Name)
    • Reading Notebook
      (Your Name)
    • Math Notebook
      (Your Name)
    • Science Notebook
      (Your Name)
    • Social Studies Notebook
      (Your Name)

Parents- Want to help?
If you would like to help our class, we currently have a grant on Donors Choose for some standing desks and stability balls. I want to give my boys the opportunity to move around the room and get their energy out so that they can learn in the way that is best for them without disrupting the learning of others. These materials will help accomplish that! If you or anyone you know would like to donate even $1.00, the link is below, and please help us spread the word!
http://www.donorschoose.org/project/wiggle-while-we-work-2/1251411/

Also, I love having parent volunteers! On Meet the Teacher Day, you will have an opportunity to sign up to help in our classroom in a variety of ways- room mom, making copies, preparing materials, reading with students, donating supplies, etc. Any help is appreciated!

I cannot wait to meet you all on Meet the Teacher Day! (August 13th) In the meantime, please feel free to email me if you have any questions (Jessica.Glay@spartanburg2.k12.sc.us), and I will respond as quickly as I can. Enjoy the rest of your summer! Feel free to comment below with your thoughts about fourth grade!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I am so excited Hunter will be in your class this year! I am super excited about the standing desks and stability balls. I work at a standing desk (and on a treadmill) and I KNOW it will do the boys a world of good!!! This year is going to be a BLAST!

    ReplyDelete